A Garden Like Never Before
History of the National Zoological Garden, Jos
The National Zoological Garden, Jos was opened by the former department of Antiquities (now National Commission for Museums and Monuments) in 1956 with specific objectives and in June 1960 the Zoological Society of Jos was officially formed to run the affairs of the zoo. In addition to the philosophy of the zoos, the gardens were established to:
The National Zoological Garden occupies land which is partly about 200 acres of parkland set aside initially in the early 60’s at the instance of the then Director of Antiquities, Mr. B.E.B Fagg.
The natural history was open to the public on the 18th of May 2003 during the 50th anniversary of the Jos museum with the aim of displaying some of the animals that died in the zoo and some of the plants found on the plateau. The zoological garden was given full autonomy on the 1st of July 2008 during the tenure of the then Director General, Mallam Yusuf Abdullah Usman.